The very pure Roman style, places the church around the Charlemagne time. The building collapsed around 1632.
It has most probably been demolished by the Baron of Moux, who was furious at not being able to conquer Montlaur
and ordered the destruction of five surrounding villages when retreating.
A manor was built at the foot of the mountain at hamlet “Les Ilhes” which became the residence of the provost and his religious community; soon after it was fortified. There is nothing left from the surrounding walls, only the tower is still standing…
The inhabitants of Montlaur, Ribaute, Lagrasse, would walk in procession to Saint-Michel de Nahuze to ask for rain whilst singing litanies: “San Miquel balhatz nos d’aiga…” (St Michael, give us water) words to which jokers would add: “Barrejada ambé de vi; Maï de vi que d’aïgo, Tout pur encore milhou!” (“Mixed with wine, but with more wine than water, it would even be better!”).