is part of the village landscape: this beautiful stone building has for a long time been the key economic resource for many people in the village.
Montlaur wine-growers , facing difficulties in producing wine in their own cellar , decided to form a cooperative: the inaugural general meeting was held on March 14, 1949 and the first 79 members produced 5840 hectolitres of wine.
The building was built on land belonging to Mrme Tomey and M. Fages, acquired in exchange for shares in the cellar. Responsibility for the construction work was given to architects M. Bres et M. Villeneuve.
The cooperative reached its peak in the years 1980/1985 when its highest storage capacity was reached (in 1984, 53827 hectolitres from 581 hectares of vineyards).
In 1977 the wine cooperative purchased the " Niermans cellar " situated at the entrance to the village.
En 1977, la cave coopérative acheta la « cave Niermans » (située à l’entrée du village) suite à l’adhésion de l’exploitation.
In 1995 the cooperative was named “Cave le Montlaurier” ( the Montlaurier Cellar).
meant that the Montlaur cellar did not escape the general reorganisation of cooperatives; initially, it merged with
the cellar of Servies en Val, then with a larger enterprise, the cellar at Fabrezan.
The current cooperative group includes the cellars of Fabrezan, Fontcouverte, Montlaur, Ribaute and Servies en Val.
As a result of these mergers the villagers were treated to some unusual sights: the removal of stainless steel tanks to the Fabrezan site.